Sunday, January 4, 2015

Courage to Change...

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

A simple prayer.  A profound reminder.

Sometimes, it's easy for me to focus on the things I can't change, even though it's frustrating that I can't change them.  Primarily these things include...well, ALL OTHER PEOPLE.  It's easy to let my mind wander onto all the things that I would change about others.  The thoughts go something like this, "If only ____ were more ____ then (insert good outcome here)."  Like, "If only my toddler were more obedient, then I wouldn't pull out my hair."  

But, the truth is, I can't change other people.  Even my own children.  (A good parenting book that recognizes this premise is Scream-Free Parenting...it encourages parents to change themselves, thereby impacting their children instead of the vast majority of behavior modification publications out there.)  Okay...that was a side note...

I also can't always change my circumstances.  Sometimes money is plentiful, sometimes it's not.  Sometimes the weather makes my day bright and cheery; usually dreary and rainy.  I can't always change my health.  Sometimes I'm plagued with an extremely painful migraine; sometimes I feel great.  Sometimes I get a good night's sleep; sometimes I'm exhausted.  

COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS I CAN.

I can change:

my thoughts & perspective
my emotions (eventually)
my words
my actions

what I read
what I wear
what I eat

who I spend time with
who I invest in
who I let go

how much I sleep
how much I spend money
how much I exercise
how much I clean house or play with my kids

This year I'm going to have courage to change something when it's not working for me.  To think optimistically, instead of worrying.  To speak encouragement with boldness.  To read more scripture & more parenting books (I love those!).  To eat in a way that gives me energy and strength.  To invest in relationships that serve, fill, and mutually build up.  To let go of people, things, thoughts that drag me down.  To prioritize healthy sleeping and spending habits.  To choose happy children over a clean kitchen. 

This year I'm having the courage to be who I want to be...who God wants me to be!

 just a note that I wouldn't change how cute these kiddos are EVER ;)

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I'm always inspired by you Erika. I love that you put things of value out there.

And I'm intrigued by your journey since I very much identify with it. Oh those years with young children bring it all to the surface. Here's a blog post from my (ongoing) journey: http://grains-of-truth.blogspot.ca/2008/02/i-want-it-all-and-i-want-it-now.html

Robyn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...